Big Idea: God invites us to pray “reckless”, transcendent prayers – prayers that glorify Him and benefit others.
NEXT STEP: Which of these prayers do you feel drawn to start praying? That’s God’s Spirit drawing you. How will you respond, both today and going forward?
FOR MY PERSONAL TIME WITH GOD THIS WEEK:
Practice these prayers over the next week. As you pray, leave time to be silent before God and give Him the space to speak to you.
- Pray “not my will, but Yours be done.” Pray that God would accomplish in you what brings glory to Him.
- Pray “grow the fruit of Your Spirit in me.” Pray for God to grow godly character in you. Ask God to show you how to pray these things for your family and your friends, and follow any leading He places on your heart.
- Pray “speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening.” Pray that God will help you to hear the things that He wants to say to you, and then listen expectantly. Make a day of it – keep bringing your thoughts back to God, tell Him you’re listening, and discover what He longs to share with you.
- Pray “open my eyes to see.” Pray that God would let you see how He is working in your life, in your family, and in the world around you. Let what you see build your faith in His goodness and power.
- Pray “let me feel what You feel.” Pray that God would break your heart where it needs to be broken and fill your heart where it needs to be filled.