Do you ever find yourself dissatisfied with life, quick to complain? Easily annoyed, critical or impatient? Do you secretly deal with negativism, cynicism or pride? How is it that if we visit with Christ-filled people in another part of the world who have nothing, we find that they oftentimes have more gratitude in life than we do? Living in a land where excess is the rule, not the exception, a deeper understanding of gratitude is often blurred; we struggle with contentment.
There's a theme in the Bible that appears in several different places. Paul says to the church in Thessalonica, "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” How can we be thankful in all circumstances? It starts with a grateful heart.
Gratitude is a loving and thankful response toward God that we express not because things are going our way, but because God is present and work in the world. When we live grateful lives, our perspective shifts in almost every circumstance. Therefore, we should not be surprised to discover that God wants us to be grateful.
Join us through this series as we land in a few of those many different stories of Scripture about gratitude and listen to God’s leading to help each of us cultivate a more grateful heart.
- Oct.18: Watch Your Attitude (1 Timothy 6:6-11)
- Oct. 25: Grateful for the Ordinary (1 Thessalonians 5:18) – Jed Hollenbach
- Nov. 1: Refresh My Memory (Psalm 78:1-72)
- Nov. 8: Lessons from a Jail Cell (Acts 16:16-40)
- Nov. 15: Unshakable Kingdom, Unstoppable Service (Hebrews 12:28)
- Nov. 22: NO SERVICES; OUR SERVICE IS TOGETHER, IN THE COMMUNITY!
- Nov. 29: A Simple "Thank You" (Luke 17:11-19)